Blog Entry #7

I go to my learning placement teacher at the same time every week. So I assume I am missing certain subjects that are being taught. I am usually there when they are going over their certain letters and learning words that start with that letter. And sometimes sight words, briefly. Kindergarten is still a very young age where you're still learning how to write your name. So they are learning to count, the abc's, specifically what sounds each letter makes etc. Simple simple. So I feel like kindergarten teachers have to wing it a lot, because this is like the beginning of learning for their students. So a lot of students might be drastically faster or slower than others.

My service learning teacher makes her standards/expectations very clear. And with any age of student you have to be repetitious, which she is. She continuously repeats what she needs her students to accomplish within a certain time limit.

Although I'm not a part of this part, there are two teachers in my placement that during a rotation times will take small groups of 5 or less and have them sit around a table. Where they take time to make sure each student is understanding what they are learning and can know for themselves each letter and the sound it makes. And what words start with that specific letter. With small groups of 5 and under, each student gets one of one time with the teacher so the teacher can make sure they are keeping up. And sometimes the teacher will call students individually to make sure the student can answer the questions on their own without their peers answers.

Comments